Expert strategist, marketer and communicator. “Superconnector” class networker and people connector, with close to two decades of senior-level experience across functions in the technology space. Background includes entrepreneurial, investor, managerial and mentorship positions.
- Highly skilled at taking ideas from concept to market, in varied roles such as marketing, product management and fund-raising
- Strong articulation skills and proven ability to get diverse teams communicating with each other and working effectively together
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior management in a fast-paced, rapid-growth, high-intensity environment.
Intel, Bangalore (Jan 2011 - Jan 2012)
Analyst, Emerging Markets
- Worked across groups to define new products and offerings for the Indian market, with a view to expanding to other emerging markets. Took 2 product ideas to proof of concept stage (business case, market research, partnership discussions, financial projections)
- Ran innovation programs across Intel India, as part of the ACCENDO group.
- Promoted and evaluated entrepreneurial ideas from employees for further development and potential go-to-market, as part of the IDEA Factory Forum.
Intel, Bangalore (Nov 2005 – Dec 2010 )
Manager, Marketing and Communication
- Marketing and Communication Manager for Intel's IT organization in India, as part of the Site Capability Office, a high-level strategy group tasked with putting in place the strategies and processes required for achieving Intel's ambitious growth plans in India.
- Conceptualized and executed a brand strategy and campaign for the IT organization in India.
- Built and ran Indian edition of intranet for the IT organization. Continuously managed and maintained Intranet to ensure content was relevant, accurate, and up-to-date.
- Drove all internal communications to all stakeholders. Ensured timely and on-brand communications.
Symphony Services, Bangalore (May 2004 – Aug 2005)
Manager, Business Development
- Manager for Business Development for the Market Analytics Solutions BU. Served as the interface layer, in both directions, between the sales team in the US and the various delivery teams in India.
- Part of a skunkworks team trying to build an analytics product business out of what was an analytics services business.
- Responsibilities included preparation of all collateral for analytics group, assisting in responses to RFIs / RFPs, ownership of the sales pipeline documentation, and preparation of approach documents.
- Assisted with PR / Marketing efforts involving propagation of the organizational brand in the analytics domain.
Yahoo!, Bangalore (Mar 2003 – May 2004 )
Program Manager / Product Manager
- Liaison between engineering team in Bangalore and business & corporate teams worldwide. Privacy & Policy Liaison for the Bangalore R&D center.
- Product/Program Manager for Communities team (responsibility included Yahoo! Message Boards, Polls, and Blogs).
- Identified and qualified potential partner companies for multiple BPO projects for Yahoo! (USA)
- Built and ran the Bangalore Backyard, the Indian edition of Yahoo’s worldwide intranet
Iponics, Bangalore (Jun 2001 - Aug 2002)
- Part of core team at Iponics India, an Incubator VC firm, until close of fund in Aug 2002. Generated and evaluated potential clients.
- Raised public profile of Iponics to assist in thought leadership and generating new business
- Helped in setting strategy, product, and business development roadmap for existing portfolio companies
Unimobile, Inc., Silicon Valley / Bangalore (Dec 1998 - Mar 2001)
Manager - Business Development
- Handled inbound inquiries from prospective customers for Unimobile (later acquired by Verisign)
- Assisted in developing solutions section of website unimobile.com to ensure all customer-relevant information was present.
- Was Unimobile's evangelist in all industry forums
- Handled all customer interaction in specified geographies (Australia, Africa, Middle East).
Virtual Community Engineer
- Ran both commercial and non-commercial promotional programs for Unimobile wireless internet product. Built and ran consumer acquisition team (product had ~1.5 million users at peak). Contributed to product strategy.
- Increased the brand's profile and perceived expertise as first movers in wireless internet space. Lead online buzz creator.
- Served as spokesperson for the product with opinion-shapers, including media, analysts and key industry figures.
Millennium Cyberworks, Bangalore (Nov 1995 - Aug 1996)
- Headed South Indian operations for one of the first web development companies in India
- Responsible for all aspects of Sales & Marketing cycle.
- Media strategist and consultant for advertising agency clients.
- Provided technical support for corporate marketing and image- management efforts. Used print media, industry forum representation and word of mouth to generate cost-effective publicity.
Selected Projects and Assignments
- Co-founder and Marketing Chief, INNOVATIVE COMPUTER LABS (1993-1995), an Architectural CAD and Multimedia consultancy.
- Co-founder, ARACHNIS, (1996-1998) Internet consultancy
- Consultant, DATA-CORE SYSTEMS (1997) - established Internet Programming division for services company.
- Consultant, SATYAM INFOWAY LTD. (1998) - part of team that launched the sify.com portal.
- Consultant, JUSTVOX (2001) - marketing, positioning and business plan generation.
- Consultant, VISION ENCOMPASS (2002-2003) – “best practices” security consulting assignment for DRM startup
- Published columnist for various technical and general journals. First featured columnist when The Times of India launched their “Technology Page” in 1998
- Mentorship of entrepreneurs – both informal as well as via forums such as the NASSCOM Product Council
- Moderator of two of the most well-known internet mailing lists in India: Silklist - a general-purpose discussion group founded in 1997; and India-GII - India's foremost discussion group on telecom since 1996.
- Founder Member: the TBTF Irregulars, The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email - India Chapter, The Indian Linux Users Group, and Cypherpunks-India (an SIG on Information Security)